Wednesday, October 10, 2012

buzzer beater




Psalm 27:13-14 Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living.

Quitting can become a habit, if we're not careful. Its a parent's job to help our kids see hope. To help them understand all things are possible with God!

I remember when my boys were very small, we were going through a rough spot, financially. The car we were driving would shoot out plumes of white smoke, every time it was cranked. The guys at work would literally stand at the door of our shop, to watch me start it up, for the drive home.

One night we were heading back from a Christian concert, and the little car was huffing and puffing, like the little engine that could. My son, Zack, who was 3 at the time, said, "Daddy, we not got no car that works!" I said, "Son, I couldn't agree more."

But when we got home, I sat with my boys at our kitchen table, and shared my heart. I told them about how I trusted God. I explained how tithing was mommy and daddy's way of showing God we had hope in what He was able to do in our lives. By tithing, and by talking about tithing, we were teaching them about hope. We wrapped up by renewing our commitment to trust in God, by leading them in a family prayer.

As soon as I said "amen", the phone rang. It was Woody, a guy in my Sunday School class. He worked for the car manufacturer that made my vehicle. He said they were cleaning out a store room and had a never-used engine, the same year and make as mine, in a crate in a storeroom. They did not have a use for it and were going to throw it out. Very casually, he asked, "Could you use it?"

God had sank another game-winning buzzer beater! He had proven Himself to my kids, as a God of hope, who delivers.

Talk to your kids, today, about hope. Show them the ways you are putting your hope in God. Then watch God deliver!

No comments: